Rain Delay in Chesapeake Douses the Blaze 7/6/19

Photo Credit: Pretty Instant

Di Miller, MLL Correspondent
Lacrosse is Awesome©

Featured Image Photo Credit: Pretty Instant

On Saturday July 6, 2019, the Chesapeake Bayhawks (3-2) hosted the Atlanta Blaze (3-2) on what turned out to be another rainy night of lacrosse and the 5,200 Bayhawks fans stuck with their team to watch one heck of a great game.  There would be another long rain delay which the Bayhawks were very familiar with given the fact that they just experienced the same thing on July 4 in Denver.  This time however, they’d sit through a full two hour delay before play resumed and would come out the victors over the Blaze by the final score 16-13.

In the first quarter, the Bayhawks would jump out to a quick 4-0 lead with goals from Matt Abbott (1g, 1a); Andrew Kew (4g) with a hat-trick in the first; and Lyle Thompson (5g, 3a).  Atlanta would finally get on the board with 5:24 remaining in the frame with a goal from Randy Staats (1g, 1a); and back-to-back goals from Bryan Cole (3g, 2a).  Score at the end of one:  Bayhawks 5—Blaze 3.

The second quarter each team would match goal for goal, but about four minutes in a major fight would ensue and play would stop for almost five minutes while then men in stripes figured it all out.  We’d see two players ejected; one from each side.  The Blaze would see Randy Staats head to the locker room; and the Bayhawks would see Warren Jeffrey head off the field both being ejected for the remainder of the game.  Each team would be hit with penalties and go on man-down situations with the Blaze feeling the brunt going with only three defenders against five.  It was a bit chaotic while the penalties played out.  We’d see Steele Stanwick (2g, 1a) score two for Chesapeake; Brendan Bomberry (1g), Ryan Keenan (1g) and Thompson each with one apiece.  For Atlanta they’d have Brendan Sunday (3g, 2a) with two; Shayne Jackson (1g, 2a), Dylan Maher (2g) and Christian Mazzone (1g) each with one apiece.  At the end of the first half, Chesapeake still held the lead 10-8.

It took almost two hours before the third quarter would start due to severe weather.  Play finally resumed around 11:15 EST and it would be Bryan Cole getting on the board first for the Blaze 1:03 into the frame getting them to within one 10-9. But Thompson would score for his hat-trick putting the gap back to two.  The teams would exchange goals with Lee Stouros (1g) getting on the board for Atlanta as well; until Sunday would notch his hat-trick and tie it up at 11 apiece giving the Blaze a bit of hope.  But just as quickly, Thompson would get his fourth on the night to end the third and the Bayhawks would take back the lead 12-11.

With 15 left Chesapeake would put two more on the board, another from Thompson and a funny goal from rookie Colton Watkinson (1g, 1a) as he would come up from the left side of the cage and slide in on his knees with the shovel shot on goal to score putting the Bayhawks up by three 14-11.  But just as quickly as Chesapeake gained their lead, Atlanta would come back with two more one from Tommy Palasek (1g) and another from Maher to close the gap 14-13.  With about three minutes left on the clock, the Bayhawks would score the final two, one from Nick Mariano (1g); and the final, another from Kew, his fourth on the night.  Final Score:  Bayhawks 16—Blaze 13.


Atlanta (3-2) heads back home for a quick turnaround to host the New York Lizards (1-4)  on Sunday July 7, game time 4:00 p.m. EST, the game will be televised on www.watchstadium.com

Chesapeake (3-1) has a couple of weeks off before heading down to Dallas to play the Rattlers (0-5 at the time of this article) on Sunday July 14, 2019, game time 4:00 p.m. EST, the game will be televised on www.majorleaguelacrosse.com

Di Miller, MLL Correspondent
Lacrosse is Awesome©